Combined Real-Time Strategy, Flight, and Naval Action gameplay: Command the air, sea, and sub forces. Launch full-scale attacks and at anytime switch to and take full-control of any plane, ship or sub. You command, fly the attack, fire the battleship's 15-inch guns, and submerge the mini-sub anyway you choose throughout the battle.
Two Massive Campaigns: 28 full-scale battles across two unique campaigns. The historic American campaign begins after Midway and goes to Guadalcanal, Leyte, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and more. The “what if” Japanese campaign begins at Pearl Harbor and goes to the Java Sea, Port Moresby, Midway, and beyond.
100 War Machines: Fighters, bombers, carriers, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, subs, mini subs and more. 17 US planes including the new Corsair fighters and Curtis Helldivers, and 20 Japanese planes including the Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (Thunderbolt), and the night-fighting Nakajima J1N1 Gekko.
Innovative Online Multi-player Battles: Huge multi-unit battles for up to 8 players (four on each side) on Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live. The largest battle involves over 100 units. Multi-player features include eight battle maps with five all-new online gameplay modes: Island capture, Duel, Siege, Escort, and Competitive.
New & Improved Features:
- New Kamikaze attacks: The deadly attack is now fully integrated. Also features the manned Ohka, rocket powered kamikaze aircraft.
- New Island Capture: Capture and hold islands. Support the landing forces and take over artillery, radar stations, and airstrips.
- New Cockpit View: Go inside the WWII cockpits of fighters, dive bombers, torpedo planes and more.
- New Skirmish mode: Team up with a friend against the AI and expand your single player and multi-player experience.
- New Level of Realism: Greater detail and depth of field. New plane and ship destruction effects. Bullet tracers. New smoke and fire effects.
- New Interface: Improved command and control map screen, artillery, and repair controls. New hints and tips feature for new players.