I purchased this specifically for Super Mario Maker 2 and it works flawlessly! While the Pro Controller does have a true D-pad, designing courses with it is... less than ideal. This controller is perfect for freeing up the system for handheld designing while also giving precise platforming controls for testing and playing!
• D-pad works well, allowing subtle movement. Analog stick feels true to expectations set by Nintendo's own Joy-Cons. L and zL buttons are properly sized with slightly extra "click".
• Looks great, especially with the Legend of Zelda screen protector I already had on my system. The smoke-colored, semi-translucent shell is quite handsome.
• Worked the moment I popped it onto my system, no extra setup required. Slid easily into system rails and locks firmly in place.
• For some reason, soft rubber was used for the minus ("–") and screen shot buttons. This doesn't affect the latter, but the minus button is fairly loose, must be pressed a significant distance, and then doesn't always respond. It sometimes even loses contact after already holding it down for a few moments. Not a huge issue for Mario Maker, but could significantly impact other games that might require any precise use of minus button.
• No rumble. I read before buying so I knew this going in, but it would be nice to see a premium version with HD Rumble.
(Regarding complaints about lack of wireless: reading before buying would have helped. This is a moderately-niche controller designed for a specific purpose, and if that's not fully understood going in it's not the fault of the product and shouldn't be rated poorly on that basis.)
Length of ownership: 1 month
No: I don’t recommend this product