What Are Downloads?
FULL GAMES are digital versions of a complete game. They have all the same features – they're just downloaded directly to your console or computer, instead of being stored on a disc.
For a console, your code will be on the confirmation page you see after purchase, as well as instructions for installation.
For a PC, you receive an email with the code and a link to download the content to your PC.
The code is guaranteed to work.
ADD-ONS are NOT full games. They are enhancements to a game you already own. These add levels, characters, etc. that continue the joy of playing your favorite game. They can be:
- Expansion Packs
- Map Packs
- Avatar / Clothing
- In-Game Items
- Online Access
- Points / Cards
- Game Upgrades
FREE TRIALS are full games you can play for free for a limited time.
Try them out. If you like the trial, then buy the game!
Where Can I Find Downloads?
Search for the game title and look for these in the Search Results:
Or look on a Product Page for these:
Or go to the Downloads page:
How Do I Buy a Digital Item?
For XBox 360 and Playstation 3:
- Checkout through the Shopping Cart as normal.
- You can combine digital and physical items in the same cart, but you cannot change the quantity. One of each digital item only.
- You will not be asked for shipping info for an order with only digital items.
- Your code will be on the Confirmation page after successful purchase. If under review, you will receive an email with instructions.
- Checkout through GameStop/Impulse.
- You'll be guided through a simple process that's almost as fun as the actual game.
How Do I Install a Digital Item?
For XBox 360 and Playstation 3:
- Your Activation code and Installation Instructions will be on your Confirmation Page.
- Print out the confirmation page and bring it to your internet-connected console to complete the installation process.
- If you do not have Impulse installed on your PC, click on the "Get Impulse" button to download the latest Impulse client.
- Once downloaded, install Impulse on your PC.
- Launch Impulse and login using your Impulse account information
- Your purchased game will automatically appear under the "My Games" tab. To download, simply select the game and click on the "Install" button in the lower right corner of the client.
- Serial numbers (if any) can be viewed by selecting the game from the list and clicking on the "View Serial" button.
- Special instructions for extra DLC content (if any) will appear when you first try to run a game after installation.
- Once installed, launch the game directly from the Impulse client by double-clicking on the game name or the "Run" button on the client.
Frequently Asked Questions:
About PC Downloads
We offer a huge selection of games available for download directly to your PC. Simply select the downloadable games you wish to purchase and use our secure digital download checkout. You will be prompted to download and install these games directly to your PC using our robust download managing software, Impulse. No rentals, no subscriptions â€“ you own the game! In some cases, trial versions are also available, so you can even review the game before making a purchase.
Can I use GameStop Gift Cards or Trade Credit to pay for downloads?
Yes, Physical and Digital Gift Certificates, as well as Trade Credit stored on a PowerUp Rewards card may be used to purchase PC Downloads.
How long will it take to download a game?
This depends on the file size of the game and the speed of your Internet connection.
Estimated Download Times:
What happens if the transmission is interrupted?
The GameStop PC Client is designed to compensate for connection disruptions and will automatically resume your download where it left off when your connection is restored. Additionally, if you are having connection problems or a slow download due to network traffic, you can manually pause a download and resume it at a later time.
Can I install the product on more than one PC?
This varies by publisher and product. Some products can be installed on only one PC while others can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs. See specific product pages for installation/activation limits.
If my PC fails, can I recover my product?
Yes! Games purchased through GameStop are tied to your GameStop PC account and can be re-downloaded at any time*.
To recover your game:
- Download & Install GameStop PC Client
- Login using your GameStop PC account
- Go to the My Games tab
- Select your desired game and click "Install"
How do I download a free trial?
Click on the "Get Trial" button on the product page of the game.
- When asked, supply the email address associated with your GameStop PC account
- Download & install the GameStop PC Client (if not already installed)
- Run the GameStop PC Client and click on the "My Games" tab.
- Install & run the free trial from the GameStop PC client.
- Play the game for the duration of the trial to see if you enjoy the game
- You will have the option to purchase the game after the trial period expires.
How long is the free trial?
Trial periods vary by publisher. Most trial periods last for 60 minutes of game play. Trial periods cannot be extended, but you will have the option to purchase the full product after the trial period ends
I would like to send a downloadable game as a gift. How can I do that?
Proceed to the digital download checkout as usual. When viewing the "My Cart" page, click on the "Purchase as Gift" button to the left of the Checkout button. Login using your GameStop PC account, then fill out the Recipient Information form. If you know it, enter their email address to add it directly to their account. Complete your purchase as normal from that point on. The recipient will be sent an email explaining how to download and install their gift.