Rated 5 out of
Great for new and old Trails players alike!
Trails of Cold Steel is a wonderful game that is perfect for both experienced Trails veterans and players who are new to the series.
This game marks the beginning of a new arc in the overall storyline that the Trails games play out. This time, the events take place in the Erebonian Empire, which Trails veterans will recognize the name of from the Trails in the Sky games. New players do not have to worry about feeling left out because the game itself does not rely heavily on knowledge of the events from the earlier games.
Cold Steel follows the adventures of Class VII of the Thors Military Academy. Over the course of the game, you will get to know the nine members of Class VII, the country of Erebonia itself, and all the political intrigue taking place behind the scenes. In my opinion, it is an excellent game that is well worth the time investment. Here are some brief pros and cons:
- Entertaining characters and excellent writing.
- Great voice acting that really enhances the game experience.
- An intriguing plot that is revealed to the player with just enough mystery to get you wanting more.
- A much improved battle system that is actually a lot of fun .
- Plenty of hidden side quests if you're into that sort of thing, and the Trails world is alive as usual with plenty of interesting NPCs to talk to if you want.
- Another cliffhanger ending, which leaves you wanting more - And a sequel is being worked on as we speak!
- Side quests are sometimes a distraction from the main storyline, but a number of them are optional, and these are kind of a series staple anyway.
- Some players might not appreciate the ending because it ends in a cliffhanger.
- Honestly can't think of much more.
Overall, this is an excellent game for any fan of the JRPG genre. You should definitely consider picking it up.
Date published: 2015-12-29