As of December 2015, the FAA requires users to register small recreational drones between 0.55 - 55 lbs, which affects all drone products. You can find information about registration requirements at http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/. You can register online at http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/.
FAA GUIDELINES SUMMARY
With the caveat that there are always expectations, and that you should consult with clubs and fliers in your local area, the basic guidelines for flying legally (and safely) can summarized thus:
- Don't fly above 400'.
- Don't fly at any elevation within 5 miles of an airport.
- Don't fly around areas where VTOLs (helicopters) or any small commuter aircraft operate.
- Keep your aircraft within visual range and under full control.
- Don't fly over populated areas.
- Don't record video or take photos in contexts where there is an "expectation of privacy."
- Treat the air over private property as private property.
- Follow the safely guidelines set forth by the AMA, even those that are not legally enforced.
- Don't use your UAV for what the FAA might deem as a commercial purpose.