I've been playing the UK version for a few days now, its a great game that has everything the Amiga and PC versions had, though the only bad point is it runs a little slow esp through menus and when you zoom out...but get past these points and its a superb strategy game in its own right, buy this game!
How it works
The Settlers series gameplay revolves around 'resource chains'. The basic idea is that you create new (comlex) resources by using previous (more basic) resources and each building is used to create specific resources. So you have a forester plant a tree, then that tree grows and you have a lumberjack chop it down, and then you have a carpenter turn that tree into planks so that you can build more buildings...and on and on. Some of these resources are unlimited, like water and wood, but some are extremely limited, like gold and other metals. So its not like sim city because you arent creating a city that produces money you are creating a city that can go to war, however its not like civilizations because its not about complex unit creation, its about how to effectively use you various resources to create just a few military units, key defensive structures and a thriving 'resource chains'.
come on, you know its like crack
i cant get enough of these kind of games. this is preview buzz, so im not going to comment on the graphics or gameplay, but you simply must give this game a shot when it comes out. for 70% it will not be your cup of tea, but the other 30% of us have already set aside many hours with which to squander on this.
This game is ill, pick it up
Alright , pick it up ya all, I have played this game back in the day on my 486 DX, its tight has everything the avid strategy player could want, If your into economy management or just some plain old conquesting, It is a complicated game though so I dont recommend it for the action starved or impatient gamer, its a slower pace game, but when it does get going then grin as you watch all your little minions pour over the neighboring borders to suffice your avarice. Burning pillaging, and displacing the enemies populace, nothing more satisfying than watching all your enemies little people flood out of thier burning castle doomed to walk the world forever as nomads .Definetly a great game for the old school gamers
Good, but Passable
Some games just don't translate as well from the PC to the DS. SimCity is a great example of what I'm trying to describe. The game works well overall, but suffers from tiny icons, little graphics, and an odd look. The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary plays amazingly on the PC, if you're interested, try that. This game falls quite short in comparison even though the mechanics are identical.
The Settlers 2, actually.
It's actually The Settlers 2. Prequal to Settlers 3. Make no mistake, it is worthy of the name "Settlers" from the settlers franchise, but it is a completely different ball game from Settlers 3, or even 4. This is certainly on my wish list, I still have my copy of Settlers 2 Gold in my games binder. It'll be great to be able to play it again - my 486 has long since departed. Re: Someone else's preview: This is definately not Black and White, although black and white DS would be pretty neat.
Avoid if you do not like complex games
I have played The Settlers III, and from what I have played, it is more complex than most RTS games such as Sim City or Age of Empires. To build a soldier, you must make a geologist to find the iron, then a miner to mine the iron, then a smelter to smelt it, then a blacksmith to make the weapon. But even before that you must have made picks for the miners, and have shovels for the geologists. So, in conclusion, this game could be good, but I suggest trying the game before you buy it.
I don't know
This game has three reasons why you don't wanna buy it: Around the same date, Time Ace is coming out. It looks really good too. Wait another half year, and there is a much better game coming out, Spore DS. The Japanese version of Sim City is coming out this week. Later in the US, it's gonna be in the same genre. But it looks pretty good, but I don't think I'd buy it.
The settlers franchise, has been one of the best franchises. Although it is so complicated, its fun to just see little cartoon villagers roam around your city. But these games have been easy because your enemys have never attacked in settlers 3. If you take the tutorial everything should be better and understandable, but if you don't everything will be derstandable!
I Can't Wait!
Now whenever I see a stratagy game on the "Coming Soon" list, I start reading up on it. Now I have never played or heard anything about a Settlers game, but this game looks good. I especially like the fact that you build a city and train a military and stuff. So, I preordered the game. I'll let you know how it is after I get it.